Position SensorsMeasure position between any two surfaces with our ultra-thin, lightweight position sensors.
FlexiPot Strip and RingFlexipot™ position sensors are a solution for a wide variety of applications where you need an embedded, flexible, thin position sensor.
- Ease of use – Tekscan’s Flexipot sensors can be powered up without any external circuitry. Our 3-pin configuration allows for users to simply apply power across the outer pins, and read the output from the middle pin. No other circuit interface is required.
- Superior linearity and repeatability – Flexipot sensors produce a linear output with respect to change in position. Repeatability error below 3% provides the highest confidence in the data.
- Durability – We’ve put our position sensors through rigorous durability tests to make sure they are built to last in your device.
- Customizable – FlexiPot sensors can be tailored to fit the specific shape and needs of your application.
What Are Some Commonly-used Applications for Thin Position Sensors?The thin, minimally-invasive nature of flexible position sensors makes them an attractive option to capture and monitor position data, without adding excessive complexity to a design.
- Ideal for industrial control and medical device applications
- Low power requirements combined with linear output makes these position sensors a great choice from both a manufacturing and user perspective
New uses for these sensors are constantly being discovered for embedded force strip functions in devices. Here are just a few broad examples of flexible position sensors being used in applications now.
Human Machine Interfaces (HMI)
- Dials on mobile devices
- Light dimming mechanism
- Touch screens
- Robotic control
- Vehicle speed or steering control
Industrial / Commercial Processes
- Inventory management
- Theft management
- Controlling or adjusting the throughput of a mechanical process
- Fluid level monitoring (e.g., fuel tank)
- Measuring medication volume in a syringe
- Inhaler dosage tracking
- Depth sensing
How can we help?What are you building? Our engineers can walk through the scope of your project and find the right product specifications for your position sensing device application. Do I need a 3 pin or 2 pin termination?
We design and build all our sensors in-house, so whether you only need one of our off-the-shelf FlexiPot position sensors, or a custom design just for your specific product, we can help you get the exact solution you need.
How Do Our Position Sensors Work?The FlexiPot™ Strip and Ring position sensors are tactile potentiometers used to identify location or position and adjust output. When a contact is applied to the sensitive surface, an electrical contact occurs between the top and bottom layer of the sensor, creating a variable voltage divider. The position data produced a linear output for your software to use.
- Flexible membrane potentiometer with an ultra-thin (0.008 in.), lightweight profile
- Linear output, low error (±2%)
- High-temperature options available (up to 200°C (400°F))